Thursday, March 15, 2012

Side Note

  I know I promised the rest of the story and to explain the new paths we are taking on, but something more pressing came to my attention.

  We are in a challenging economy right now, still a recession if you will.  Many of us are being choosy with how and where we spend our money.  I am putting it out there and am interest to hear, are we looking for value (ie. Good service and good product ), are you just looking for savings and price.  Do you make sure to only shop locally, or at least when you can.  I pose this question because it was presented to me in a different way. 

The question made was is the local economy slowly dwindling.   I see small business owners that have had their photography business for years trying to defend their prices, beg for business and more.  Are they right, or do they just need to adjust their business plan to the current economy.  Or is the one that posed the question, did she figure out the answer?  Did we stop going to the local granny for crochet hats and props, are we ordering fabric and backdrops online instead of the locally owned fabric store?  Are there choices in your life where it may be beneficial to choose a local small business over Walmart?   A local restaurant over olive garden? 

My photography business is going go as local as we can.  I am very happy with my lab and will continue to use their services.  I will shop at a local art store for packaging and try to purchase backdrops from the fabric store.
Personally, I will purchase Riley's new bed and furniture when we move at the local kids furniture store, that is if I can't find it at a yard sale first.

I think it is important time keep small business thriving, and for small businesses to value their customers and each other.  Please think of where your money goes the next time you make a purchase.

Spend Happy, contribute locally!

Melanie

1 comment: